Thursday 24 August 2023

When do you feel successful?

Success is a broad and varied topic. And, to each one of us in different contexts success means different things. It is different for each kaiako and ākonga however we generalise success and predictably report our success using one-size-fits-all type of measurement. Naturally, this has to occur to create standardisation amongst kura but it doesn’t allow all ākonga to feel success in the classroom. 


We have been thinking about success a lot and how we can ensure ākonga feel success in their learning and throughout the day at school but what makes us as kaiako, mātua, and tangata whenua feel success? The hard-working ISLs have taken a step away from the prescribed measurements of success and thought about what makes them feel success throughout the various layers of roles they play each day; from looking at themselves as an individual, as a classroom teacher, as an ISL, and as all the roles we play in our personal lives. If we can understand how and when we feel success then perhaps we can better understand our ākonga to create opportunities for them to .

Cornwall Park District School

I feel success when I’m sharing resources and hearing feedback from teachers and students who have enjoyed these activities. I feel successful in supporting them as an ISL.


Epsom Normal Primary School

I feel success when I’m achieving goals and when I get positive feedback from people around me and my students.


I feel success when I’m setting achievable goals and being the best possible version of myself to then be able to transfer that to help others 


Meadowbank Primary School 

I feel most successful when I’ve achieved something that felt impossible or particularly daunting at the start. 


I feel success when I hear children say words like ‘fun’, ‘I got it’ or ‘that worked’ in the class. In ISL capacity I feel success when engaging in authentic discussions that aren’t always led by an agenda discussions but in response to needs and key points as they arise


This week, I’ve managed to cook every night. That's a big success during a busy term! - I feel success when I know I am organised - professionally and personally. 


Remuera Primary School

I feel most successful as a teacher when past students and their families have told me what a positive effect I have had on their future. 


As an ISL leader, I feel successful when PLG meetings have led to really useful and thought provoking discussions which lead to teachers’ questioning and challenging their approach in the classroom.  


In my personal life, I feel successful when my daughters experience success and when my running is going well.


So how and when do our tamariki feel success and what do they want to measure to report on their successes? How do we change what we are measuring to show what equals success? Janelle Riki-Waaka gave a thought provoking seminar about Māori achieving success and she spoke to how her tamariki communicated that they should have a choice in what they are successful in instead of what someone chose to measure them on. 


We will always need to measure Reading, Writing, and Maths, but what other success can be chosen, measured, and celebrated? As a group, we will continue to share the success of our ākonga and the stories they have decided to celebrate and share. What are the successes you see in your classroom today? 


Click here if you would like to watch Janelle’s seminar or read the Te oa Māori initiative blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment